Dear Pre-K Parents,
I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday! As we return back to school this week, we begin celebrating the season of Advent. Today we went to 9:00 Mass and we will continue to do that every Tuesday of Advent with our buddies. This week, we will spend some time talking about Advent, as we learn that it is our time to prepare for the birth of Baby Jesus. We will be making Advent wreaths to keep in the classroom as we count down the four weeks of waiting. We also began decorating our room and even put up a Christmas Tree. I am asking that everyone send in an ornament to help decorate our tree and get it ready for the Birth of Jesus. This ornament can be made or taken from your collection as it will be returned at the end of the season.
We will be learning about size this week and how to compare things to see what is big, bigger, biggest, and small, smaller, smallest. We will look for things around the room and even compare each other using our math words. Our letter this week will be Pp. We will practice the sound of Pp and practice how to write it and identify things that begin with Pp. We will also be continuing our kid-writing. It has been truly amazing to watch your children show their understanding of sounds and be able to kid-write different words for pictures they draw.
In ELA this week, we will continue to study rhyming words as we practice identifying and grouping things by their ending sound. Our theme this week will take us back to our Neighborhood, as we talk about the different places in our Neighborhood and things we can do. We will even kid-write about one of our favorite places in our Neighborhood. We will be reading the tale the Lion and the Mouse and your children will be bringing home a take home picture book to help retell the story.
Below are some reminders for this month:
1. If you are purchasing Scholastic Book Orders, I ask that you please make sure to either order online or send them into school. If any of these books are a Christmas gift, please make sure to let us know so we can get them to you without your child seeing.
2. We have received many new supplies already, so if you have not sent in crayons, washable markers and glue, we ask that you do so by Friday.
3. Santa Secret Shop will be on Wednesday. A list will be coming home for you to fill out in regards to who your child can buy for.
4. Our Christmas Concert will be on December 12th at 7:15. For the concert, Pre-K must wear black bottoms or a skirt and a solid white shirt. We will be having a dress rehearsal the afternoon of December 12th and children will be asked to wear their outfit that day. I recommend wearing another white shirt during the day to avoid it getting dirty.
5. Conferences are scheduled for December 13th. If there is a concern you have or you feel you need a conference, you can begin signing up for one on Thursday. Your children are truly doing a wonderful job and I am very proud of the progress they are making. If we have already talked about having a conference, I ask that you please sign up through Option C beginning Thursday. If for some reason, you cannot make this day or and of the times available, we can try and schedule a conference during one of their special times throughout the week, or even have a phone conference.
I hope that everyone has a wonderful week and enjoys this first week of Advent.